Healthcare Plan Sign Up

The Ash Tree Vets Healthcare Plan is a super way to help you budget monthly by direct debit and save money, whilst ensuring your pet receives the best in preventative health care.

Learn More

Pet Travel

(Dogs, Cats and Ferrets)

Can I still travel to the EU with my pet?

Dogs, Cats and Ferrets can all travel to the EU with an Animal Health Certificate.

How old does my pet need to be to apply for an Animal Health Certificate?

The process begins at 12 weeks for the rabies vaccination, but you can’t travel until 3 weeks after the injection. Your Animal Health certificate can be issued within 10 days of travelling.

Which countries can I travel to?

The Animal health Certificate is used to travel freely within Europe for 4 months from issue. For a full list of countries see DEFRA’s website PETS helpline on 0870 241 1710.

Ireland now also has a requirement for an Animal Health Certificate.

Please be aware that some countries also carry extra restrictions so we would always advise contacting DEFRA to check up to date rules before you travel.

You can take your pets to non EU countries by following their import and export guidelines, also provided by DEFRA. If your pet requires a flight we would strongly recommend using a third company carrier company such as Air Pets or PetAir.

How do I apply for an Animal Health Certificate?

They can only be issued for non commercial travel. Make an appointment at the practice and we will run through the current requirements:

  • Microchip
  • Rabies Vaccination (can be done on the same day as the microchip)
  • Wait 21 days from Rabies Vaccination before travelling
  • Appointment to issue an Animal Health Certificate within 10 days of leaving the country

Can I still use my pet passport?

If you are abroad before 31st December and wish to return to the UK, your UK issued Pet Passport will be valid. From the 31st December you will not be able to leave the UK and enter the EU using your current UK issued Pet Passport.

Do I need to get my pet checked before coming back to the UK?

24-120hrs before re-entering the UK, whilst abroad, your pet (DOGS ONLY) must be treated for tapeworms by a vet and have his/her Animal Health Certificate stamped.

Does my pet need a blood test for rabies?

The current guidelines state that a pet does not need a rabies blood test to return to the UK or enter the EU from the UK.

Should I be aware of any other disease on holiday?


Leishmaniasis is an infectious disease transmitted by sand-flies. Sand-flies are blood sucking insects mainly found in Mediterranean coastal areas. Disease is spread when the flies bite in order to feed. Symptoms include skin infections, weight loss, liver and kidney disease and possibly death. Symptoms can develop up-to six years following a trip abroad.

Heartworm(Dirofilaria Immitis)

This is primarily a disease of dogs and is transmitted by mosquitoes. It is widespread around the world, but especially in Southern Europe. The immature worms are passed into the dog’s bloodstream via mosquito bites where they migrate to the major blood vessels and heart and can cause serious heart and lung problems.


This is transmitted by certain ticks. These ticks are common in southern and central Europe and are now spreading further north. When ticks feed, saliva is injected into the host together with the Babesia organisms, which invade and multiply in red blood cells. Affected animals develop fever, anaemia, weakness, lethargy, weight loss and red or dark brown urine. Without treatment death can occur.


This is another disease spread by ticks and is widespread in southern Europe. Symptoms of this disease vary widely and may include fever, swollen glands, bleeding into the eyes, from the nose and into the skin. It can be diagnosed by a blood test and if caught in the early stages can be treated.

What are the best ways to prevent parasites spreading disease aborad?

Region of travel Risk Factors Preventative technique
Northern Europe/Alps Ticks Credelio tablet (start 1 week before departure)
Southern Europe/Warm climates Ticks



Credelio Tablet (start 1 week before departure)

Scalibor collar  (start 1 month before departure)

Avoid taking your pet out  in the evenings/night time when biting insects are most prevalent