Top tips to help your pets adjust now you’re returning to work
Life changed for many of us during the Covid-19 lockdown. That also meant life changed for our pets too! Now restrictions are lifting and we are returning to our normal routines, our pets may need help adapting to their own normal routines.
It is so important to plan ahead and try where possible not to make these changes too suddenly to allow your pets time to adapt. Even the most resilient of pets can get worried.
Our top tips:
• Gradually change the timings of your daily routine to be similar to your average day. If you used to walk your dog before work try to adjust the timing to fit with this to avoid frustration when it doesn’t match what they’ve come to expect.
• Our pets may not have been left for prolonged periods during lockdown and therefore received more attention and interaction. Start gradually decreasing the amount of constant attention and increase the amount of time on their own. This may include not playing with your pet as much the moment they ask for attention.
• Increase the time they spend alone by inviting them to sleep in their own bed whilst you’re in another room
• Give your pets interactive toys they can occupy themselves with when you are not interacting with them.
• Leave the house without your dog to help them get used to the idea of being left again. Build up the time for longer durations and increased frequencies if you need to. If your dog shows signs of distress when left alone please seek help from a qualified behaviourist.
• Remember cats naturally have a more solitary life compared to our highly sociable canine friends! However they may still find the reduction in attention stressful, try to greet your cat calmly and If they are hiding away give them space
We stock a wide range of natural supplements and calming products that may help your pet to adapt back to “normality”, whatever that may be!
The practice is now back to being able to offer our full range of services, so please don’t hesitate to get in touch if you need us for anything at all.